So here are some of my ideas and plans for the 2016 - 2017 school year. Last year, I became more aware of some of the gorgeous creations that people generate that fall under the genre of Steampunk. I love the concept of merging the vintage and classic with new-age and futuristic technologies. Many of the items of tomorrow have not yet been dreamed of at this time. Perhaps some of my students will be some of those dreamers who invent our future technologies.
So in my head #OurSTEAMCafe will be decorated with woods, brass, copper, leather, industrial pipes, clocks and gears. The phrase "Gear Up for the Year Ahead" comes to mind. I can see all of the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math concepts that can intertwine with this. The boxes and bags currently "collecting" in my apartment will hopefully help to bring this design decor concept into fruition.
Now that most of our students and staff have an understanding of the STEAM concept, I feel I can move away from a room focused on stations for these concepts. The idea is that they should be combined in a transdisciplinary method anyway.
My new plan (which I hope will be brought to light) is to have the following areas:
- Documentation Area (A section with light cubes for photography or student work, black velvet to display items, camera, ipads, mini-greenscreen areas, document camera and the like.
- Devices Area (Of course a large portion of #OurSTEAMCafe is a way to lockup resources for security purposes when not being utilized. Naturally I prefer when my items are out being used by classes. Hope to make it more clear what items are available to loan to classes)
- Discovery Area (An area for exploration. Hop on a computer to learn more about a topic of interest. Participate in a Discovery Education Virtual Field Trip. Explore offerings from Discovery Education Streaming to enhance understandings)
- Design Area (A collection of materials and resources so that students and teachers can create. Art supplies, cardboard, Legos, K'nex, and more to build and create with to bring ideas to light)
- Drawing Board Area (All good ideas need to be flushed out and reworked and revisited. I hope to provide a collection of wipeboards and clipboards for students and teachers to use to collaborate and draft plans)
- Discussion Area (Hope to also provide a comfortable area where teachers and/or students can come sit and reflect on their ideas. Seek assistance. Review ideas and discuss with peers)
Now as always these ideas are very clear in my head. Just hope I can also make them clear in the real world in #OurSTEAMCafe. In a few more days as I beginning redecorating I intend to be more concious about taking before and after photos. I'd love to hear about the plans and ideas that are circulating in your head. Please share. Remember document your work...